Some of you may remember an earlier blog post where I spoke about a break in at a flat in the same complex I live in.
Well, there was another ‘incident’ this week. I got a knock on my door at about 9:30pm from a neighbour who had seen someone wearing a hoody lurking around my living room window and car. When they challenged him, he legged it over the fence.
This is where my brain turns into a crazy making machine. What my logic tells me is this:
- The scumbag was scared off before being able to break in to anything. Odds of him coming back any time soon, knowing that the residents are once again on high alert, are slim to none.
- It’s likely that this is the same scum bag who broke into my neighbours flat, hoping that enough time has passed for us to no longer be on high alert, and hoping that he can get another easy score. He’s probably now scouted out my flat, and realised it’s not going to be easy pickings.
- My neighbours are still vigilant, so if anything dodgy is going on, it’s going to be noticed, investigated, and reported.
- The bloke is more than happy to stay at mine for as long as needed to play my white knight until I feel a bit more secure.
- I should, with any luck, be moving to pastures new within the next couple of months. So I won’t have to worry about the security of the complex where I live for much longer.
- I have my stuff insured, plus I have motion sensor alarms since the previous incident. The odds of someone sneaking in whilst I sleep are slim to none.
- If someone does break in looking for easy pickings, they will be aiming to grab easily transportable things. Alarms, confrontation, etc, are likely to scare them off.
Here is what my brain has conjured up for me in the face of what logic states:
- A random scary psycho dude is going to break in and stab me in my sleep.
I don’t know why my brain has conjured this scenario. I’ve never been stabbed. I don’t know anyone who has been randomly stabbed. It’s incredibly silly. Yet this is what my brain now tells me is going to happen in the face of all logic and reason just as I’m trying to sleep.
I was running short on sleep anyway, because I daren’t keep my windows open when it gets dark due to the prior incident, and my flat is too hot. I’m now running on even less sleep. It’s annoying. And kind of headachey.
So, in a nutshell – my brain is stupid, and should probably have a word with itself.